Our family planning department operates every day, providing services and each department in the hospital has a family planning ambassador/champion to talk about family planning to the clients. Our services are not only given to the married women but also teenagers have turned up for the services because they are sexually active. So far the youngest conception age in our catchment area has been 13 years and average conception age is 18 years
Uganda has one of the highest fertility rates in the world at 6.7 children per woman, and has the youngest population on the planet with a median age of less than fifteen. Large families trap people in poverty with not enough money for food, schooling and health care for their children. High fertility rates are dangerous for women, and make it hard for them to escape traditional childbearing roles. A 3% annual population growth rate is unsustainable for the environment, and leaves younger generations without enough water or land for cultivation. Three years ago we were providing short term methods of family planning, currently 60% of the services offered every month are long term. Now the contraceptive prevalence rate (proportion of women of child-bearing age using some form of contraception) is 46% the Bwindi area. Our target is 70% by 2020.
Bwindi Community Hospital in partnership with the Royal College of General Practitioners has been awarded funding to increase the number of health workers who are trained to give counselling about the benefits of family planning and where appropriate provide methods of modern contraception. The initiative, known as U-SHAPE (Uganda Sexual Health and Pastoral Education) also includes training for local teachers and Village Health Teams. The aim is to reduce unmet need for family planning, by dispelling the many fears and misconceptions that people have. We will have a particular emphasis on preventing unwanted teenage pregnancies and helping mothers to space their children, both of which are known to reduce maternal and infant mortality.
What we offer
We serve a population of over 100,000 people and offer fulltime emergency obstetric care.
- Averagely, We have more than 120 deliveries a month.
- The Maternity section was expanded to accommodate 4 mothers in labour at the same time. We have 28 beds on post-natal ward.
- We have a full time obstetrician, Dr. Julius Nkalubo. He is the only obstetrician in the District.
- Conduct daily comprehensive Antenatal care clinics - on average, we see 250 mothers per month.
- Routine pregnancy ultra sound scans
- High risk obstetric clinics/ services
- Extensive health education and birth preparedness plan.
- Waiting mothers hostel.
- In partnership with PACE, and we have integrated cancer screening in family planning promoting IUDs as highly effective method with fewer side effects.
- Cancer of the cervix is a every big problem in our area. About 3% of the women who have been screened have pre-cancer lesion.
- Family planning in-service training to all staff.
- All family planning services concentrating on long-term methods.
- Post-partum family planning.
- Specialist gynaecology consultation services.
- Cervical cancer screening and treatment for premalignant and early cancer.
- Operative gyn services
- Rehabilitative gyn services with elective fistula surgery and care.
- Pelvic reconstructive surgery.
- Postnatal health education and counselling
- Post caesarean section care
- Postnatal reviews and Family planning
Sexual Reproductive Health
Family Planning Services
How you can Help
- Supporting the poorest mothers enrolling them in the health Insurance.
- Emergency transfusion we need to purchase a blood refrigerator.
- Supporting mothers to join the health Insurance.
- New delivery beds - 4
- Curtains for separation in the labour suite.
- Bulb syringes
- Suction machine
- Nurses watches
- Head torches.
- Warm water bottles
- Vacuum delivery set (small portable type)
- Hysteroscopy set (equipment)
- Leep equipment (for cancer of cervix management)
- Gorse (still one year expiry)
- Monitors for High Dependence Unit (3)
- High Dependence Unit beds (3)
- Electric warmers