Job opportunity: Registered Midwife.
Bwindi Community Hospital is a private hospital not for profit organisation that is a member of Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau (UPMB) family that offers Christian based health care to patients located in Kanungu district. We are looking for qualified staff to fill the position of a Registered Midwife who will be responsible to Sexual & Reproductive Health Programme area head.
Work with the health care team at Bwindi Community Hospital (BCH) towards meeting the Objectives of the Organisation and achieving the work plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver goal oriented/focused antenatal and postnatal care including health promotion activities during and after pregnancy.
- Manage labour progress of pregnant women
- Ensure all women are monitored appropriately using patogram.
- Ensure complications during and after labour are detected and managed appropriately with appropriate consultation in complicated cases
- Manage and detect obstetric and gynaecological complications, working in partnership with doctors and/or clinical officers or other senior midwives.
- Monitor and evaluate offering of PMTCT services both to pre and post-natal mothers and ensure that all HIV+ Mothers are started on option B+.
- Participate in offering methods of contraception and identifying any related complications.
- Perform examinations on and immunise newborn babies before discharge.
- Identify and manage simple complications in newborns and refer any complicated cases to the medical officers and other members of the health care team in the hospital.
- Supervise and mentor the enrolled comprehensive nurses/midwives, volunteers and students.
- Maintain hygiene in the delivery unit and the entire ward.
- Give high level pre and post operative management of caesarean section mothers
- Perform nursing procedures to a high standard; for example, wound care, giving intravenous antibiotics or fluids, catheterisation and other procedures.
- Collect laboratory results and attach them to patients’ notes, identifying any abnormality and report them to doctor.
- Perform basic observations, act on any abnormalities and refer to a more senior member of staff if required.
- Ensure aseptic technique is adhered to in the preparation and performance of sterile procedures.
- Participate in Health Promotion activities in the Community including.
- To comply with all Hospital Policies and Procedures
- Sensitisation about activities carried out at BCH.
- Health Education in schools.
- Church sensitization.
Other administrative roles /responsibilities:
- Adhere to the professional code of conduct.
- Support the Nurse/midwife- in- Charge by maintaining high professional standards and setting an example to the other staff.
- Support the area program head and midwife in charge to work towards fulfilling the strategic plan.
- Attend and help at Outreach clinics when requested
- Supervise junior members of staff and volunteers
- Deliver and attend teaching and training sessions with other staff members.
- Accompany patients on emergency transfers when requested.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Maintain good medical records and recording of data for HMIS purposes.
- Any other duties assigned by supervisor depending on capability.
- Minimum Qualification of Diploma in Midwifery
- Minimum Experience of 4-5 years
- Advanced/basic skills in Computer Applications.
- Excellent communication skills
How to Apply
Applications with detailed CVs and copies of academic documents should be addressed to: The Human Resource Manager, Bwindi Community Hospital, P.O.Box 58 Kanungu. Hand-delivered or emailed to: email@example.com NOT later than 30th March, 2016. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.